On Nov 19, 2018, at 7:28 PM, Alan Perry wrote:

> In the video that I looked at, the guy cut 8 1/8" pieces of double-sided foam
> tape, three each along the top and bottom and one on each side, then sealed
> it with clear packing tape. It seemed to me that using some optically clear
> adhesive sheet would accomplish both jobs.
>
> I have some heat pads (gel in plastic that gets thrown in a microwave to heat
> up) for loosening the screen adhesive on iPads and such. Can I use them to
> get the remaining PVA to loosen up?

The heat pads are worth a shot if they can maintain temp long enough to do the
job, though you'll be up against quite a bit of thermal mass with that thick
glass. The old trick that people are still using today with vintage 21" CRT's
is to put them in a kiddie pool outside and let the sun warm the water. You
don't want to start too hot for risk of cracking the glass. *Glances out
window* I can tell you that trick wouldn't work here today, nor for 6 more
months.

If you have a way of ensuring the optically clear adhesive sheet bonds evenly
and won't yellow, I don't see why that wouldn't work. I recall someone did do
the foam tape/packing tape operation and then DID fill the void with a PVA type
liquid material. Risky to ensure all the air bubbles made their way out, for
sure. -C