On 4/5/19 1:49 PM, Ali via cctalk wrote:
>> I hit on the idea of using 16mm move film plastic "cans".  Much to my
>> surprise, I found that there is still an active market for these
>> things.
>
> Chuck,
>
> For the uneducated amongst us exactly what are you referring to? Are you
> talking about the plastic can where the tape sits in? Or the strap that goes
> around the plastic cover or something entirely different?

Take a look at the image here:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/historic-image-of-an-old-computer-tape-high-res-stock-photography/128587299

See how each reel of tape hangs from a slot in a horizontal bar?  Those
white-and-black strips wrapped around the tapes are what I'm referring
to as being deteriorated.

Here's a photo of a single tape reel with one:

http://ibmcollectable.com/gallery/album124/2400ft_tape

IBM used a somewhat different attachment for their auto-loading drives.
I can't find an online photo of one, but I have several of those.
Rather than using a single flexible strip, they used a multi-part rigid
plastic surround.

--Chuck