On Fri, 5 Apr 2019, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:

On 4/5/19 2:58 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
On 4/5/19 3:20 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
See how each reel of tape hangs from a slot in a horizontal bar? Those
white-and-black strips wrapped around the tapes are what I'm referring
to as being deteriorated.

How does that come off the reel?

Does the reel slide out?  Does it unlatch?  Do you have a picture of one
without the tape reel in it?

The IRS facility photo used the IBM style; not flexible, but rather a
two-part sliding rigid plastic arrangement.  I think that the IRS also
used a robotic "picker.

I'd have to take a photo of one, I think, though if you have a very
ancient Wright-Line catalog, it's probably in there.

   There's a good picture of the IBM autoloading tape seal on this page:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/media.html

Mike Loewen                             mloe...@cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology                          http://q7.neurotica.com/Oldtech/