I never could figure out why would anybody need dbase IV when RMS was built into the VAX file system?

I once did a media conversion from Vax to PC where the programmers said the uVax II was as slow as molasses, then I found that they had the data stored as a flat ASCII file !

On 20/07/2019 16:15, Dave Wade via cctalk wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk <cctalk-boun...@classiccmp.org> On Behalf Of Antonio Carlini
via cctalk
Sent: 20 July 2019 18:20
To: Bill Gunshannon via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: dBase IV for VAX/VMS (was WordPerfect 5.1+ for VMS)

On 20/07/2019 00:15, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
On 7/19/19 4:04 PM, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
On Jul 18, 2019, at 8:58 PM, Eric Dittman via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
On 7/18/2019 12:26 AM, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
On a related note, was there ever a copy of dBase III or dBase IV for
VAX/VMS?  I know there was a version of Lotus 1-2-3.
I don't know about the earlier versions but I have a copy of dBase
IV for VAX/VMS that's still in the shrink-wrap.
--
Eric Dittman
Interesting, so my vague memory was correct.  That means they had

I just looked and none of the three were included in the VAX Software
Source Book.

Lotus 1-2-3 had AL-IN-1 integration (at least that's what the announcement
of it's retirement suggests. It sounds like Lotus developed and sold it and
Digital just advertised it. The retirement happened in 1995.

Back in 1991, all three were available on the VAXstation 4000 VLC:

"VAXstation 4000 VLC

The VAXstation 4000 VLC workstation is the first workstation in the industry
to break the $3,500 price barrier.  Offering 6.2 SPECmarks (6 VUPs) of
processing power, this system is twice as powerful as the previous entry-
level VAXstation 3100 Model 30 system. This low price and DEC SoftPC V3.0
software (Digital's PC emulator) or native applications, such as Lotus 1-2-3,
dBASE IV, or WordPerfect, make the VAXstation 4000 VLC system a desirable
alternative to PCs in the VMS environment. For more information regarding
DEC SoftPC software, see the related article in this issue of Digital's Customer
Update."

I don't see a price anywhere so I can't tell how "low" it really was :-)

Antonio
Well given what you say above I would guess $3,499!

Does any one know if its possible to buy traded 123 , WP, DBASE or SoftPC for
the VLC?
It would be real fun to see how slow they were on the VLC although it does seem
to run the software I have installed very smoothly

Dave

--
Antonio Carlini
anto...@acarlini.com

--
Nigel Johnson
MSc., MIEEE

Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!

You can reach me by voice on Skype:  TILBURY2591

If time travel ever will be possible, it already is. Ask me again yesterday

This e-mail is not and cannot, by its nature, be confidential. En route from me
to you, it will pass across the public Internet, easily readable by any number
of system administrators along the way.
   Nigel Johnson <nw.john...@ieee.org>

Please consider the environment when deciding if you really need to print this message