> On Jul 20, 2019, at 8:45 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 7/20/19 2:37 PM, Nigel Johnson via cctalk wrote:
>> I never could figure out why would anybody need dbase IV when RMS was built
>> into the VAX file system?
>
> Compatibility with other dbase files from other platforms that didn't have
> RMS?

Or because RMS isn't a database?  Even an ISAM file is a very different beast
from a database.  Come to think of it, you might deduce this from the fact that
DEC built database products on VMS, DBMS (a CODASYL database, whatever that
means) as well as RDMS (a relational database, built I think when that concept
had just appeared).