On 7/23/2019 7:45 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

On Jul 19, 2019, at 10:52 PM, Eric Dittman via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

I pulled my Pro380 out of storage after getting a replacement
VR201 monitor.  I connected it all together and on powerup I
get the following display:

http://www.dittman.net/pro380/screen.jpg

The tech manual says this is an error from slot 1 (the hard
drive controller) and the error is "Non-existent memory trap
occurred for longer than 20 seconds".

I reseated all the cards.  I noticed three ICs are missing on
the hard drive controller but I don't know if they are empty
or someone removed the ICs (I can't remember where I got this
system).  I can't find a picture of the controller to compare.

The missing ICs can be seen here:

http://www.dittman.net/pro380/missingics.jpg

That's normal.  I have a working 380 (well, last time I powered it up) and it
has the same three empty sockets as yours.

The description of the error code isn't very clear.  It might mean that the
card is detected (slot present register says there is a card) but the attempts
to read the card ID code and associated selftest ROM failed.  That would
explain why the second line is 177776 rather than the card ID (000401).

You might need to clean the connector contacts (connector and backplane) and
also check for damaged contacts.

Okay, I looked at the slot and it looks like one of the first pins is
missing:

https://www.dittman.net/pro380/pro380missingpin.jpg

I removed the HD controller and it fails to boot from floppy as well.
The error codes change but seem to point to the RX50 drive being bad.

I had another Pro380 but it's come up missing so I can't swap parts.
I guess I'll keep an eye out for another one.
--
Eric Dittman