On 11/26/2019 08:59 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:

It wasn't just having the technology, it was having it and knowing how to market it. You need both to make a good product and DEC really was all about protecting their current market share (which is insane as they came to be by exploiting a niche in the computer industry).

Yup. We were a big VAX user, and were accustomed to our salesman and a technical guy coming out for a sales call to iron out exactly what features and options we wanted on a machine. When the MicroVAX came out, for a purchase price less than EITHER the software or hardware maintenance contract on a VAX 11/780, I know this couldn't go on. When they went to the 3100/3500 Pizza box machines, I know it REALLY was unsustainable.

Jon