On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Neil Thompson via cctalk wrote:

I'm convinced that Dijksta (and anyone else who came out with similar
comments were full of horseshit.  In my opinion, it's the ability to
translate a real world "thing" into an algorithm that is the essense of
programming, and anyone who has managed to learn (particularly on their
own, as many of us did) that ability has learned something that transcends
the language (or tool) you use to implement the algorithm.  When I first
started programming professionally, we had "programmers" (or sometimes
designers) who specified the algorithms and "coders" who implemented them.
That never worked well

Yep.  You can write horrible code in /any/ language. ;)

BTW, I scanned & uploaded this last week.  Oddly relevant.
https://archive.org/details/cobolcodingform

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007