At 16:12 05-04-20, you wrote:
On 4/5/20 6:28 PM, geneb via cctalk wrote:
On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Neil Thompson via cctalk wrote:

I'm convinced that Dijksta (and anyone else who came out with similar
comments were full of horseshit.  In my opinion, it's the ability to
translate a real world "thing" into an algorithm that is the essense of
programming, and anyone who has managed to learn (particularly on their
own, as many of us did) that ability has learned something that transcends
the language (or tool) you use to implement the algorithm.  When I first
started programming professionally, we had "programmers" (or sometimes
designers) who specified the algorithms and "coders" who implemented them.
That never worked well
Yep.  You can write horrible code in /any/ language. ;)
BTW, I scanned & uploaded this last week.  Oddly relevant.
https://archive.org/details/cobolcodingform

I still have lots of them.  And Printer Output Forms.  And Fortran
Programming Forms.  And all kinds of other Programming forms.  And
Flow Chart Forms.  You know all that stuff we actually used to
engineer programs before the software engineers came along and said
we were all doing wrong.

bill

Ran into a bunch of my FORTRAN programs from over 50 years ago as well as the obligatory flowcharts I would do first before writing a single line of code. Code written in pencil so could erase errors and only then would I use a keypunch for final version. Also a few FORTRAN coding forms. Back then, with sometimes a 48 hour delay between submitting my card deck and getting program output, it was well worth spending an hour or two to print out contents of cards and carefully check that there weren't missing commas and or other errors that would mean correcting the stupid mistake and resubmitting ones card deck.

Never got into COBOL as my main interest was real-time computing and so next step up was access to PDP-8 which had FOCAL and quickly learned that programming in assembler was the way to go. Still like assembly language programming and suspect my early experience of learning to code in an environment where there wasn't really a dividing line between software and hardware (people would build custom boards for PDP-8's/PDP-11's to speed up data acquisition) that the biggest change I made in my programming style was to switch to VB as it allowed me to easily create the graphical interface I needed but still let me link to C or Assembler routines in my VB6 code until windoze became too locked down to be of any use. Still haven't got all my VB6 programs running under Wine on Linux but at least Linux has FORTRAN and C.

Part of what I've noticed is that I can't sit down at a keyboard and write code (as one is supposed to do nowadays) and it turns into a total mess. I still use flowcharts when I'm dealing with tricky code and the nice thing about flowcharts is that one can easily create a hardware state machine from them. Was nice in 1970's, but now a Propeller chip, even using interperted Spin code, works far faster than the TTL state machines I used to make. Other paleo-programmer related deficits include being totally unable to use RDB and still make use of linked lists and hash tables to create my databases as have been doing this for 50 years. Software Tools was probably the most important book I read in 1983 as it got me out of my rut of writing a massive FORTRAN program to do a specific task that I'd have no idea how to modify even 6 months later to small useful tools that could be strung together. Back then engineers I worked with would have total disdain for Comp-Sci types who would still be working out their code indentation scheme while we would already be using a quickly written throwaway program to perform a particular task.

The other thing I should bring up is that my wife is after me to get rid of a lot of my old books. While rumaging through the attic of my shop found boxes of old computer books which I'd like to keep but have been told that if I haven't looked at them in 15 years that it's unlikely I will in future. Will check in see if some of them have been scanned onto bitsavers or other sites but have 68000 programming books, 6502 and other microprocessor related books as well as lots of Mac books when I just had to get into the guts of a Mac to do what I wanted. Have a number of PDP-11 Unibus cards which likely won't use and will have to get all of that sorted out. Once have a list of what I've got will post it on my web site. I live in Kamloops, BC if there's anyone on this list who lives close by who's interested.