> On July 13, 2020 at 1:30 PM Phil Budne <p...@ultimate.com> wrote:
>
> I can't make ANY assertions about version or pedigree of the files(which came
> to me in 1981 when I was using a PDP-10), but they APPEARto be from Ron Cain
> himself, from SRI-KL (TOPS-20):
> ftp://ftp.ultimate.com/pdp10/c80.tar.gz
> Which contains runtime files from November 1979, and compiler filesdated June
> 1981.

Hi Phil,
Thanks!  That sure looks like the right one.  It is 8080 code, the comments and
docs mostly match what is published from a quick look.  I will look into it
more when I am home and have some time.  But I do believe that is the
"original" as published in DDJ.

Notes and justification
I started looking for this mainly because I wanted to play with it.  I want to
actually use it to write some code and see how hard it is to write usable code
with the limited subset of the earliest released version.  But when I started
looking I was shocked that I couldn't find the original.  There are dozens, at
least, of derivatives in various versions.  Z80, 8088, 6502!, TI 9900 I think
and more.  Floating point, structs, optimizers, etc.  I personally think this
was a VERY important piece of software.  I think the number of derivatives
speaks volumes of how important it was.  But I couldn't find the original.  I
feel it should be preserved.  Even the DDJ Small C CD ROM didn't have it!
(They only used 34Megs of the Disk so they had plenty of room.)
Anyway, it looks like Phil found it.  I appreciate all the efforts getting it.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where it should go for safekeeping?  I
plan on putting it on my web site, but that is far from an archival solution.

Thanks,
Will