On 1/2/2022 6:21 PM, Mark J. Blair via cctalk wrote:
I am seriously lusting after that VAX-11/780 system on eBay
I keep thinking about it, but no. The 780 was neat from a historical perspective, and the 785 at UMBC (UMBC5) ran Ultrix (and was on the ARPANET, not the crappy Bitnet the 8600's were on) but the 780 was really slow. I have a Microvax II here that would equal it CPU speed-wise, and the running of the main memory on the SBI was cool for the 782 option but was pretty slow.

Now a Vax 8600 or 8650.... That would be interesting. Partially due to the Jupiter angle, partially because it was the fastest MASSBUS system with true pdp11 compatibility.