I've always felt that in terms of performance the proper measure would have been VUPS/kW :-)

That way my little MicroVAX 2 would be able to hold its head high!

Nigel Johnson, MSc., MIEEE, MCSE VE3ID/G4AJQ/VA3MCU
Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!
Skype:  tilbury2591nw.john...@ieee.org

On 2022-01-02 20:18, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
On Jan 2, 2022, at 5:11 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk<cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

On 1/2/22 5:20 PM, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
I keep thinking about it, but no. The 780 was neat from a historical
perspective, and the 785 at UMBC (UMBC5) ran Ultrix (and was on the ARPANET,
not the crappy Bitnet the 8600's were on)
Is that Bitnet as in the Because it was there network that many IBM mainframes
were on?

but the 780 was really slow. I have a Microvax II here that would equal it CPU
speed-wise, and the running of the main memory on the SBI was cool for the 782
option but was pretty slow.
Can I ask for a rough translation in to comparative VAX Units of Performance
(VUPs)?  I /think/ that the VAX 11/780 was 1 VUP.

VAX-11/780 = 1 VUP
VAX-11/782 = 1.8 VUP
MicroVAX 1 = 0.3 VUP
MicroVAX 2 = 0.7 VUP