On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 7:13 AM Paul Koning via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> > On Aug 21, 2022, at 8:35 PM, W2HX via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I always thought it was interesting how 5 1/4 is 3U (rack units). I
> thought there might have been some relationship to that. But could have
> been just coincidence.
>
> For floppies, likely yes.  That fact did get used later on, in storage
> arrays where you can line up 14 or so disk drives, standing on edge, in a
> 3U 19 inch rack mounted system.

I thought the initial 5.25" Hard Disks had ISSUES[tm] operating on edge. I
remember the RD50 (5MB in all its glory) being touted as also operating on
edge for the desk-side cases for DEC Rainbows and Professionals (and later
MircoPDP-11s).

Warner