From: Fred Cisin [mailto:ci...@xenosoft.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2022 11:32 PM
To: t.gard...@computer.org
Cc: 'General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts'
Subject: RE: [cctalk] Re: Wang bar napkin story [WAS:RE: Re: "Revival" of a
dedicated Micropolis webpage on internet]

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022, Tom Gardner wrote:
Fred:
Please quote the current version of the oral history, It says:
Porter: Jimmy said that you guys got together with the guys at Wang in
a dark bar one night and, after a discussion, you decided on the size
of what the smaller diskette should be and there was a cocktail napkin
on the bar which was 5 1/4" square <laughter> napkin <inaudible>.
That's Jimmy's story.
[Ed. note: Contacted in 2009, both Adkisson and Massaro stated that
there was never any such meeting in a bar with Dr. Wang]
5.25 and 3.5 Floppy Disk Oral History Panel (computerhistory.org)
<https://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/text/2013/05/102
657925
-05-01-acc.pdf>  at page 10
Will you now stop promulgating this fable?

Yes.  Knowing that BOTH deny it shows that it is an apocryphal tale.
I was, indeed, looking at an older version (2005) When I had only heard of
Massaro's refutation, I was wondering whether Adkisson agreed.  Now, it is
clear.
Thank you.