> It turns out that some 8" drives can be set to separate the sector holes
> from the index hole (separate output pins for index and sector). Doing
> so, gives you what amounts to a soft-sectored floppy, regardless of what
> the physical object is.

The flippy 8" diskette I linked a picture of this morning was written that way.
Took me a little time to figure out. Part of a massive lot of diskettes all
done like that. I'm guessing the original owner either worked for Varityper at
some point, or knew someone who did, and was able to acquire a huge quantity of
hard sector diskettes cheaply.

> I know that I used a Siemens FDD-200 drive jumpered accordingly to read them.

Shugart SA-801 (or 800 with the LSI chip and 801 jumper closed) will also do it!

Thanks,
Jonathan