On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 11:36 AM Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > The clip nut is 10-32...
>
> That's the same clip nut used on H-960 racks.  I saw some at the local
> hardware store recently.  An unusually well stocked hardware store,
> admittedly, but clearly they are still current items.

It's the same threading but not the same style.  The H960 clip nuts I
have a real "nut" wrapped in a thin metal frame that wraps around the
rail.  This clip nut is a bit of plate steel with a machined and
threaded "dimple" in the middle, and a small tang to latch into a thin
metal carrier that looks spot welded to the bracket.

You could probably use a rack clip nut in this application but I think
the hole in the bracket would have to be a tad larger for a standard
clip nut to engage, and then the cast metal front panel would be
resting on the face of that clip nut clip instead of directly on the
metal bracket with this design.  It would probably affect a tight
seat, and might lead to scoring on the inner face of the casting.
Probably wouldn't matter much in practice, but a design and UX
engineer might not like the difference.

-ethan