Some information about the origin of CUTS here :
https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/8099/whats-the-difference-between-kansas-city-tape-standard-and-cuts

I recall a Logabax computer (a french office / accounting system that seems
to e completely forgotten) in about 1975 that had a built-in mechanism that
used audio cassettes. The tapes, if played on an audio system, were a
series of tones not unlike CUTS - I guess the idea of recording as audio
something intended to be sent over the telephone system was fairly obvious.