If you want authoritative sources I highly recommend:

*        IBM J. RES. DEVELOP. • VOL. 25 • NO. 5 • SEPTEMBER 1981, has an
article “Innovations in the Design of Magnetic Tape Subsystems”

*        IBM Journal of Research and Development Vol. 47, No. 4, July 2003 has
an article “Fifty years of IBM innovation with information storage on magnetic
tape”

*        Magnetic Recording, the First 100 Years, Daniel et al, Chapter 17,
Data Storage On Tape

*        Magnetic Recording, Vol II: Computer Data Storage, Mee et al, Chapter
4 Data Storage

*        The Complete Handbook of Magnetic Recording, Jorgensen, Parts 4 and 5
which deal with tape materials and transports

The first ref above gives the date of IBM’s shipment of 6250 bpi as 1973, AFAIK
that became the industry standard for ½ r-t-r tape

I have all of the above in my library and might be able to help u off line if
you have specific questions.

I’ve worked on tape articles in Wikipedia and they are for the most part pretty
good.  If u find any errors or omissions I hope u will update

If you are willing and able to share I’d like to see yr results

Good luck

Tom