>On 3/9/23 10:16 AM, John Maxwell wrote:
>> Nowhere do I see any mention of a Model 80 Reference Disk. If you
>> don't have one of these, you will not be able to configure the machine.

>Yep.  I'm well aware.  This is not my 1st PS/2 rodeo.  I actually cut my teeth
>on used PS/2s in the mid-90s.

>> I _should_ have a copy of one lying around (or already
>>imaged/archived)
>> - the main problem is finding the ADF (Adaptor Description Files) for
>> the added features/cards.

>The usual suspects in the comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware newsgroup have already
>provided links to some ADF files for what they assume the boards likely are
>based >on my descriptions.

>Aside:  I thought that ADF was short for Auto Definition File.  But I can see
>how Adapter works too.

>> My copy of the Reference Disk would not likely have any ADFs from
>> obscure cards, but should have the common files.

>Based on my descriptions, the presumption is that I've got a standard (for the
>model 80) ESDI controller, an 8514/A video card, and an IBM 386 Memory
>Expansion >Adapter.  I don't consider those to be too exotic.

[snip]

>I'm always interested in growing my ADF collection.  :-)

Is there a repository to where I can upload diskette images? What format is in
widespread use these days? I use DiskImage (Ver5) and Dave Dunfield's ImageDisk
(Ver1.17) - both work well. I seem to recall that DiskImage is a commercial
product and ImageDisk is still available for free.

>> ADFs were text files with descriptions of hardware addresses and the
>> like.

>That sounds like what I remember.

>> Not sure of what you mean by 'Rifas' in the last question. Probably an
>> acronym or other abbreviation of something I may know about, but
>> nothing comes to my foggy brain presently.

>My understanding is that RIFA is a brand of capacitor which had a model like
>which is notorious for failing after time and they seemed to be common in the
>'90s.

Not sure that IBM would use cheap *anything* in their equipment.

[snip]

>*nod*  That's what I was referring to as sticktion.

A word of warning, the "inertial rotation" procedure was great for smaller
drives, but you may break your arm applying this to an ESDI :-)

>I don't know the state of the bearings.  Is there anything that I can or
>should do for them?

Aside from dismantling the drive, not really. Just cross your fingers and pray.
Usually not a problem. I have an ST225 which had been powered off for two
decades and it came up fine in my DEC Rainbow!

>> The battery used is one of the old 6V photoflash types (cannot recall
>> the model, unfortunately). I have a few of them left in my collection
>> - just ran into them in a box (with 2 or 3 left) a few months ago.
>> Each still had over 6v (no load) at the terminals. No idea how long
>> they would last in application under load, though, even though the
>> Model
>> 80 didn't use too much current to hold things in config memory.

>ACK

>My assumption is that the Model 80 has been powered off for years, if not a
>decade or more.  It's on the older end of a five computers I picked up from
>someone >who wanted them hauled away.  I'm not holding my breath that they
>powered the PS/2 on anytime in the last decade.  ;-)

It is my belief that these batteries should still be available from somewhere.
If I think of it when I get home, I'll dig out the box and relay the model
number. Provided that the box is still where I remember.