The reason for the “station wagon” going ways was the CAFE standards.

The modern SUV is based on a TRUCK chassis, and thus not restricted in MPG
ratings from the US government.
If you have a “station wagon” that is a “car” it is thus subject to CAFE
standards.

Ford only makes the Mustang as a car (and that more and more only as an E-car
at that), all other cars are SUV’s.
Look at the car market from the standpoint of CAFE and you see that cars are
more and more based on a truck base
with the fuel economy of a truck. All because the US government is short
sighted and myopic in what may happen if
it choses to enforce some ideas of what fuel economy may be.

Sorry for the rant, and the current ideas of what “cars” are is just beyond me.

        David

From a Marketing type:
 Don't give me any technical reason why something can't be done.
 If you really believed in the product you'd make it work.
David Barto
ba...@kdbarto.org