Earlier today, I wrote:

>> Doubtful that VW Bug was on the Autobahn at the time, and, while the
>> advertisement was very
>> novel with a full-on minicomputer in the back seat of a VW Bug, the amount
>> of data
>> potentially being transported was likely only 4K 12-bit words, or 48K bits.

>> Since the machine had magnetic core memory, the system would retain the
>> content of its memory
>> without power, so in this scenario, the VM Bug was actually capable moving
>> data from one
>> point to another, albeit, not all that much data.

>> Now, if the Bug had a trailer hitch, it could tow a trailer behind it with a
>> gasoline or
>> diesel powered generator with sufficient capacity to run the PDP-8.   If
>> that were the case,
>> the machine could actually process the data in its memory while it was
>> moving down the
>> road...something a station wagon full of reels of magnetic tape wouldn't be
>> able to do.

To which David Barto replied:

> Are you suggesting some kind of, say, portable computer?

> Runs, dodging and weaving.

I'm not sure that you could fit a complete Model 33-ASR Teletype in the
passenger seat of
the Bug. I suppose if the Teletype was removed from its stand, it might be able
to sit on the
seat, and be powered by the same generator that runs the Straight-8.   The
Straight-8 came with a 110-baud current-loop serial I/O interface, so it'd just
be a matter of cabling it up to the Teletype.

It'd be really hard to operate the machine while driving, for sure.   It'd be
far worse than messing with a smartphone while driving :-/.  But, once stopped
somewhere pleasant, you could
actually develop programs using the punched tape reader/punch on the 33ASR.
It'd definitely be
an example of early "mobile computing". (Tongue firmly in cheek).