HLDA should be deasserted, that puts the processor in a DMA mode where it
releases all the control signals.

I/O W is asserted low when OUT is high and the low WR pulse comes along. It's
both status and timing, coming out of the 8228.

You would probably do well seeing if MEMR and MEMW are asserting. If the
program is running off due to e.g. bad RAM, ROM bitrot, etc. you may never see
the I/O lines assert.

Thanks,
Jonathan