How many items do you need to keep track of?  Is it less than 100, a thousand?

I tried using LibreOffice Calc to keep track of what I had so I wouldn't go and buy something I already had.  Alas, you know the rest of the story.

In order to help organize things at the physical level, I use a number of identical size boxes to keep parts in.  Then I label them CPU, Memory, Serial, etc, to organize them to that level.  These boxes fit nicely into one book case and the labels are easy to read.

I would say I have ~300 items to keep track of.

Doug