It is quite possible to put a touch of watch oil on the shaft of an older drive (without opening it) to quiet the bearings and re-libricate the grease. I'm still running RD54's and RD53's without much of an issue, firing them up every few months seems to keep them happy.

Same for RD51's and RD50's. By the time you get to the full height Hitachi ESDI and CDC half height ESDI drives they just seem to work without complaining. No issues there.

(I love RD53's: They were the biggest disk you could run in a Pro/350-380 and I have opened them to free stuck heads. They have an absolute air filter in there which filters the air as it is sucked into the spindle to be blown out over the heads, so to be honest I think you can open and close them without the world coming to an end.

Just don't sprinkle salt from a shaker into the drive to see if the heads will FINALLY crash (yes, eventually that will do it).