Get a sheet of glass.

In a not too dusty area (hint A/C has filers usually)

gloves on

Top off glass on - all will be revealed.

Rod - Digital Equipment Corporation  1975 - 1985

On 27/02/2024 03:50, Chris Zach via cctalk wrote:
Oh wait, that sound? Over and over?

I had a RD54 type drive that I hit with a magnet by mistake and took out the servo platter. Got that sound, over and over because the drive used servo loop positioning and couldn't find the servo track.

Since you probably didn't do this, check to see if you get a signal off the servo head, and the preamps there. That might actually be it.