On 2024-04-12 2:45 p.m., Christian Kennedy via cctalk wrote:

On 4/12/24 10:28, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
Isn't that the IBM 2321 Data Cell drive?

Same idea, but I recall the cabinets being lower to the floor and the media being more rigid than the 2321 noodles.  Then again, it's been the better part of 50 years, and it could well have been a 2321.

Memory rot sucks.

Having one's files "photostored" at LLL was a chancy proposition.  There
were bootleg programs to access every file for a user, just to keep them
from being consigned to the photostore.

It was chancy at LBL as well.  The mechanical handling of the 1360 photostore cells was something that would have defied the imagination of Rube Goldberg, and chips routinely ended up in places where they didn't belong (although they did make pretty cool bookmarks for my teenage self).

The problem with a lot of these old machines was they relied on a lot of electro-mechanical  devices that would today be replaced by electronics and a few simple actuators.  These mechanical devices need to be adjusted and maintained  and have lots of parts to wear out.  While I only started with IBM in 1979 I still got to work on machines that would now be considered electro-mechanical nightmares.

The development of the 2321 (announced 1967?) was long and apparently had to overcome a lot of problems, but they apparently soldiered on with it as it was considered a strategic product all for 400,000,000 characters of storage.  The later 3850 (announce 1974) MSS had  much simpler cartridge retrieval system and had storage capacity up to 472 GB.  The capacity of these seems tiny these days but given disk storage at the time, it would take a lot of DASD devices to equal that and the expense would be enormous if you could even fit that many within the reach of channel cables from the system.  Late in the days of copper channels one data center I knew of was spread over three floors, with the CPU on the middle floor and channel attached devices  surrounding it and as far a channel cables could reach on the floors above and below.

The 1360 was apparently developed at the request to Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), I  would guess a forerunner of the DOE.   There where apparently only 5 built 3 for the AEC and 2 for the NSA.

Paul.