From: Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2024 6:54 AM
To: cctalk@classiccmp.org
Subject: [cctalk] Re: IBM 360

<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 at 13:31, Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Yes.  See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_2321_Data_Cell .  By the
standards of the time it was an unusually high capacity storage device, way
faster than a room full of tapes and much larger than the 2311 disk drive.

> Fascinating. Thank you. It sounds truly awful. A device that
> effectively tries to push strips of tape into receptacles?

I suppose.  Or magnetic cards.  There were other devices that used magnetic
cards, like the Olivetti Programma -- world's first programmable calculator.
For that matter, magnetic cards are still around, they are called credit
cards.  :-)