"November 19, 1974" is what is written on the "Date of Publication of This
Issue" line in Copyright "Form B" (for periodicals) used at the time.  The form
then states "The copyright law defines the 'date of publication' as '. . . the
earliest date when copies . . . were placed on sale, sold or publicly
distributed."  The form is then signed pursuant to 17 U.S.C. sec. 506(e), which
provided for a substantial fine in the event that any false representation was
made on the form.

There is no reason to doubt the date of publication in the notice.  In fact,
there is every reason to believe it is correct.  In the magazine business it is
a routine business practice to have actual publication occur months prior to
the "cover date" the publisher places on the magazine.  The reason for this is
so that the magazines could remain on the newsstands for at least a few months
without appearing to be stale.  This is particularly the case with magazines
published on a monthly cadence.

Just as a check, I looked up the publication date of the January 1975 issue of
Playboy.  According to the copyright registration, it was November 20, 1974.