On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 11:13:38AM -0500, CAREY SCHUG via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> many games and entry pcs with old style tv analog format, don't interlace,
> and tube TVs nearly all (except maybe a few late model high end ones?) are
> fine with that, but I seem to recall that most or all digital/flat screen
> can't deal with non-interlace.

Flat panels sold as PC monitors tend to support a smaller range of video
timings than those sold as televisions. Any television which can't handle
non-interlaced 15kHz video should be returned to the shop as defective.

What you may however find is that while all TVs should support 15kHz video,
they sometimes artificially restrict the range of supported modes on a
per-input basis, purportedly for compatibility or ease-of-use or similar
marketing claptrap. Further, some models will offer a different feature set
based on the *name* you assigned to that input via the TV's menus.

So you may well find that your TV starts playing nicely with your 1980s
micros if you lie to it and claim that you've really connected a VHS
machine.