I remember the VT100 interlace setting. Yes, it changed the signal
generated. I don't know if it also changed the characteristics of the
monitor but I would think not.

It gave slightly higher resolution (the expectation would be double but the
tube didn't have focus that good) at the cost of a horrible juddering
display. I don't remember it being there on the later VT220.