In my excitement about getting a new machine to play with I forgot what I had done previously with these iso images.  That is, I used linux to dd them onto SD cards attached to SCSI2SD drive emulators.
Geez, a few months go by and I forget everything.

BTW, I looked at imgburn.  When I downloaded the installer my Norton Antivirus found a Trojan in it, so I passed.

Doug

On 2/1/2018 1:10 PM, Dave Wade wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: cctech [mailto:cctech-boun...@classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Douglas
Taylor via cctech
Sent: 01 February 2018 17:56
To: General Discussion: On-Topic Posts <cctech@classiccmp.org>
Subject: VMS 8.4 Alpha Hobbyist disk images

I'm getting an Alphaserver 1000a and wanted to install VMS 8.4 - hobbyist
license from CD.

So, I went to the folder on my PC where I have the 8.4 hobbyist
distribution.  There are 3 ISO files; ALPHA084, ALPHA084LP1 and
ALPHA084LP2.

Whilst they may have a ".iso" extension, they are not, strictly speaking "ISO"
files as that implies a file format within the CD.
I believe that these are VMS (ODS) format disks and burning programs that check
for ISO will fail.

I thought I would burn these to CD and up and away.  However, Windows 7
balks and says, 'The selected disc image file isn't valid'.

Is it Windows 7 or is there something I'm missing?  Is the CD on the
Try http://www.imgburn.com/
I think that’s what I used...

Alphaserver 2048 byte block size or 512?

I honestly can't remember, but I don't think it matters.

Doug

Dave