Em Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:53:01 +0100
Edmond Orignac <edmond.orig...@wanadoo.fr> escreveu:

> >> Here we have a problem.  In the GNU project we are mainly concerned
> >> with user's freedom.
>
> As opposed to programmer's freedom.

"Freedom" to subjugate other people is not freedom, it's power[1].

> You seem to have appointed yourself as Caudillo of the CDE project
> and you seem to be lecturing reluctant subordinates about the
> greatness of your vision.

I haven't appointed myself as anything as I don't have the power to do
that --- I'm just expressing my views.  If you don't stand for
something you will fall for anything.

> I believed the GNOME project (contrarily to KDE) fitted perfectly
> the aims of the GNU organization by being based on the
> non-proprietary toolkit GTK.

That's true.  However, with the rise of GNOME 3 we are investigating
the possibility of supporting a traditional desktop environment as
well (in the 90s sense).  Our efforts are also being put in
GNUstep-based desktop environments.

> Moreover, in order to improve the performance of GNOME,
> the X Window System is being abandoned on Linux in favor of Wayland,
> while at the same time GNOME is getting tightly integrated in the new
> systemd replacement for System V init. These changes are going to make
> CDE and Motif obsolete on the mainstream Linuxes in the coming years.

The official windowing system of the GNU system is X11, and we don't
have plans to change that.  CDE and Motif are already "obsolete" in
the technical sense you are pointing out.  However, I believe
classical desktop environments must always have their place within
GNU.

> So why this urge to seize control of a project by a small team of
> programmers that is likely to be useful only for marginal Unix type
> operating systems: legacy Unices, the BSDs, OpenIndiana,
> CRUX/Slackware Linux ?

Don't get me wrong --- no one is trying to "seize" control of anything.
We are just discussing possibilities for the future of CDE as a desktop
environment of the GNU operating system.  GNU is not a marginal
Unix-like and I think CDE could be up to the task of being one of its
default desktop environments: the classical one (again, in the 90s
look&feel sense).

> Another strange thing is that your only technical proposition was
> to replace the imake build systems with GNU Autotools, a proposition
> that was already made 1 year ago, but not accepted.

That isn't strange, that's expected.  Implementing a GNU building
system is a technical requirement for almost all GNU packages,
therefore it would be one of the first things we would need to
implement if CDE were to be turned into a GNU official desktop
environment.

> It seems as if you were only looking for a plausible pretext to
> attempt to force your views on the CDE programmers or create a split
> among them.

Please, don't be that cynic.

> You have already used some innuendoes about the possible corruption
> of some of the programmers with sentences such as " eventually and
> deliberately letting some self-interested people or corporation take
> away CDE's users freedom", " the bloated and awful Sourceforge web
> interface and its commercial appeal" "[...]comercial advertising!
> How can developers tolerate this behavior in every corner of their
> development facilities?".

Those are not insinuations; rather, they are the GNU project's vision
on copyleft and my personal view on intrusive commercial hosting of
free software projects, respectively.

> I am only a user, but I am extremely uncomfortable with someone  like
> you being the self-appointed guardian of my liberty.

As I've said, I didn't appoint myself to anything and you shouldn't
feel threatened by my or GNU project's views.

> Besides, "forks" of open source programs based purely on
> pseudo-legal argument have already resulted in technical disasters.

GNU project's arguments supporting copyleft are based on pragmatism
and idealism.  I don't know what you mean by "pseudo-legal", though.

Footnotes:
[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/freedom-or-power.html

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;