For the suspend to RAM question, without systemd one would need to
create another startsuspend script with the command

#!/bin/bash
sleep 3
echo mem >/sys/power/state # if we want suspend to RAM (S3)
echo disk > /sys/power/state # if we want suspend to Disk (S4)

and modify the sudoers config file to allow these commands.
There is also a ususwp package that contains s2ram/s2disk commands.

However, in practice, suspend to RAM can create some serious problems
when the computer is awoken, especially with old hardware. Sometimes
the video does not return (but pressing CAPS LOCK shows that the
computer is not hung) but the computer can also become completely
unresponsive and needs to be power-cycled.

I would recommend to test first the suspend to ram feature with X
running (via a xterm/dtterm window) on the hardware before enabling it
in dtlogin.