On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 02:02:53PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From: Dan Hollis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >I have had good luck with aopen drives. Under heavy use burning and
> >reading for a long time and they don't die. They're cheap too.
>
> >BTW Plextor have great performance but they do not stand up to continuous
> >use. They are like a high performance sports car and break down very
> >quickly. We have many dead Plextors... :-(
>
> Plextor is one of the manufacturer that makes the most stable and durable
> drives. Is there any reason to tell this nonsense?
>
> If a Plextor drive really fails, call Plextor and they will send you a new
> drive and a parcel to return the old one.

I certainly haven't heard of them failing much either.  I have had a 12x
reader start to get flacky after 5 years of rather heavy use, so I
bought a 40x plextor to replace it (they had gotten so cheap that it
seemed worth it to just replace it).  I have no idea what the warenty
period is on the readers, perhaps it was still under warenty.  I have
also seen the older 4x readers still going.  I also recently added a
plextor 40x burner to the system, so I certainly trust them to stay
working.

I suspect if drives have high failure rates, they are being abused.
Well unless they were the old 2x and 3x NEC scsi drives in the early
90s (and late 80s), which seemed to last about 3 months in library use
(which is rather abusive I guess). :)

Len Sorensen