> It is arguable as to whether this is a bug or a problem in the invocation:

I suspect a bug in that it is not being picked up as an error, so (4)
below would probably be a good thing. And it is also a problem with
invocation on my part. Now that I know however, I can avoid the
invocation problem.

While (3) would probably also be useful, as long as (4) is done with a
nice explanatory error message then it would be a nice-to-have feature
rather than an essential.

> 1) The CellML API is supposed to be able to work transparently as either
> a server or locally. Allowing process state such as the current working
> directory to affect the behaviour seems wrong under this paradigm (e.g.
> you could write code which called chdir between calls, but this would
> stop working if you switched to using CORBA). Since this may be the
> first model loaded through the API, we have no other way to know what
> the caller intends if they give a relative path.
> 2) The current API interface doesn't address the possibility that the
> loaded URL might be relative, although it doesn't rule it out either.
> When I documentation for the url parameter, I intended 'The absolute URL
> from which to load', and so I think it should probably be updated to say
> that.
> 3) It would make sense for the command line tools like CellML2C and
> RunCellML to take relative URLs, but it would probably be better for
> them to translate to an absolute URL before passing to the CellML API,
> since they know what absolute URL they would like to resolve against.
> 4) Perhaps the CellML API should throw an exception if it receives a
> relative URL, so that these problems get caught sooner?
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew

David Nickerson, PhD
Research Fellow