Hi Andrew,

I think the ability to easily add and maintain internal cross references
is pretty essential for the specification, although such things could
probably always be resolved with some pre/post-processing script. Might
be easier in terms of support if its an already existing feature of the
language and/or editing tools.

Prior to the plone-based cellml.org site all the CWML documentation was
superseded by docbook versions - except the specifications. I think at
the time we decided that docbook was the way to go forward but with
limited resources and the complexity of the specifications we were happy
to leave the source of the existing specifications in CWML, with the
thought that future versions of the specification would be re-written
using docbook.

I have successfully used docbook with MathML for a couple of different
projects. It all works pretty much as expected - at least I can't recall
any major hassles :)

Personally, I'd vote against 1, 3, and 6; and in favour of 4 or 5; and
would be interested in 2 if someone could demonstrate a cross
referencing solution. And agree with Andrew that 5 might be the easiest
to get started with.

Andre.

David Nickerson, PhD
Research Fellow