On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Yann Dupont <yann.dup...@univ-nantes.fr> wrote:
>> The cluster mechanism was never intended for moving existing osds to
>> other clusters. Trying that might not be a good idea.
> Ok, good to know. I saw that the remaining maps could lead to problem, but
> in 2 words, what are the other associated risks ? Basically If I use 2
> distincts config files,
> with differents & non-overlapping paths, and different ports for OSD, MDS &
> MON, we basically have 2 distincts and independant instances ?

Fundamentally, it comes down to this: the two clusters will still have
the same fsid, and you won't be isolated from configuration errors or
leftover state (such as the monmap) in any way. There's a high chance
that your "let's poke around and debug" cluster wrecks your healthy
cluster.

> By the way, is using 2 mon instance with different ports supported ?

Monitors are identified by ip:port. You can have multiple bind to the
same IP address, as long as they get separate ports.

Naturally, this practically means giving up on high availability.