On 14 Nov 2012, at 16:14, Sage Weil wrote:

> Appending the codename to the version string is something we did with
> argonaut (0.48argonaut) just to make it obvious to users which stable
> version they are on.
>
> How do people feel about that?  Is it worthwhile?  Useless?  Ugly?
>
> We can certainly skip it for 0.55 bobtail…

Just throwing in some thoughts, but how about a scheme like
${name}-stable-${version}.tar.bz2 and have the corresponding directory
structure inside and just ditch code names in the tar ball filename? It doesn't
look as nice with out a codename, but it makes it absolutely clear to new users
that it is a stable release.

Jimmy