Just here to provide moral support. Go CMake go! :)

Mark

On 07/30/2015 02:01 PM, Ali Maredia wrote:
After discussing with several other Ceph developers and Sage, I wanted
to start a discussion about making CMake the primary build system for Ceph.

CMake works just fine as it is (make -j4 on master with CMake builds
350% faster than autotools!), but there's more work needed to make it
into a first-class build system.

Short term (1-2 weeks):
  - Making sure CMake works on all supported platforms: Centos7, RHEL7,
    Ubuntu 14.04 & 12.04, Fedora 22, Debian Jessie, Debian Wheezy are the
    target platforms I have noted to test on already.
  - Adding a target similar to make check
  - Creating CMake targets that build packages (such as for rpm or debian)
  - Writing documentation for those who haven't used CMake before to smooth the
    transition over
  - Making sure no targets or dependencies are missing from the
    current CMake build, and that CMake supports all current
    targets, configurations and options
  - Replacing the integration autotools has with any automated build/test
    systems such as the gitbuilder

Longer term (2-4 weeks):
  - Removing the current autotools files, to avoid doubling build system
    workload
  - Adding more but shorter CMakeLists.txt files to a tree like structure
    where a CMakeLists.txt would be in every subdirectory

I'm already working on a target similar to the make check target, and plan
on working on the other short term goals over the next weeks and beyond.

I wanted to get feedback from the community any reasons why someone started
using
CMake but stopped (ex: lack of functionality), and more broadly, on what other
obstacles there might be for the transition.

-Ali