On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 12:28 -0800, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:17 AM, Radoslaw Zarzynski
<snip>
> > In typical case ciphertext data transferred from OSD to OSD can be
> > used without change. This is when both OSDs have the same crypto key
> > version for given placement group. In rare cases when crypto keys are
> > different (key change or transition period) receiving OSD will recrypt
> > with local key versions.
>
> I don't understand this part at all. Do you plan to read and rewrite
> the entire PG whenever you change the "key version"? How often do you
> plan to change these keys? What is even the point of changing them,
> since anybody who can control an OSD can grab the entire current key
> set?

You may have leaked keys without having leaked ciphertext.
The typical use case for FDE/SED is IMO being able to RMA drives.
Nothing more than that.

> > For compression to be effective it must be done before encryption. Due
> > to that encryption may be applied differently for replication pools
> > and EC pools. Replicated pools do not implement compression; for those
> > pools encryption is applied right after data enters OSD. For EC pools
> > encryption is applied after compressing. When compression will be
> > implemented for replicated pools, it must be placed before encryption.
>
> So this means you'll be encrypting the object data, but not the omap
> nor xattrs, and not the file names on disk. Is that acceptable to
> people? It's probably fine for a lot of rbd use cases, but not for
> RGW, CephFS, nor raw RADOS where meaningful metadata (and even *data*)
> is stored in those regions. I'd rather a solution worked on the full
> data set. :/
> -Greg

This is indeed the largest weakness of the proposal.

I'm lacking a bit on the motivation for what problem this solution
solves that a dm-crypt-based solution doesn't address? When, except for
snooping, is it a desired design to not encrypt all the things?

I guess one could say: "ciphertext would be transferred on the network".
But, it's incomplete. Internal transport encryption (and better auth)
for Ceph is a different problem.

I'd probably rather dm-crypt key management processes were refined and
improved (saying this without knowing the state of any current
implementations for Ceph), and have a solid FDE solution than a solution
that doesn't encrypt metadata. Only encrypting data but not metadata
isn't sufficient anymore...

/M