On Wednesday, June 26, 2013, Oliver Fuckner wrote:

> Hi,
> I am fairly new to ceph and just built my first 4 systems.
>
> I use:
> Supermicro X9SCL-Board with E3-1240 (4*3.4GHz) CPU and 32GB RAM
> LSI 9211-4i SAS HBA with 24 SATA disks and 2 SSDs (Intel 3700, 100GB), all
> connected through a 6GBit-SAS expander
> CentOS 6.4 with Kernel 2.6.32-358.11.1, 64bit
> ceph 0.61.4
> Intel 10GigEthernet NICs are used to connect the nodes together
> xfs is used on journal and osds
>

> The SSDs are configured in a mdadm raid1 and used for journals.
> The SSDs can write 400MBytes/sec each, but the sum of all disks is exactly
> half of it, 200MBytes/sec.
>

> So there are 2 journal writes for every write to the osd?

No.

> Is this expected behaviour? Why?

No, but at a guess your expanders aren't behaving properly. Alternatively,
your SSDs don't handle twelve write streams so well -- that's quite a lot
of oversubscription.

I would test the write behavior of your disks independently of Ceph (but
simultaneously!) and see what happens.
-Greg

This can be seen with real load and rados bench write -t 64