Most servers also have internal SD card slots. There are SD cards advertising >90MB/s, though I haven't tried them as OS boot personally.

On 2013-12-06 11:14, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
2013/12/6 Sebastien Han <sebastien....@enovance.com>:
@James: I think that Gandalf’s main idea was to save some costs/space on the servers so having dedicated disks is not an option. (that what I understand from your comment “have the OS somewhere else” but I could be wrong)

You are right. I don't have space for one or two disks to be used as OS.
I was talking about RAID1 just for OS partition (stored on SSD) and
not for the journal.

Actually I'm testing OS stored on a USB pen drive with /tmp /var/run
/var/lock placed on a tmpfs (ram) and log stored externally via
rsyslog. This should avoid USB read/writes (that are slow) as much as
possible.
It's also very easy to restore to a new pen drive from a failure:

dd if=/backup.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4M