Hi Vikrant,

In the crush map, you can assign certain pools to certain OSDs. For example,
you could put the images pool on the OSDs that are in charge of the HDD and the
volumes pool on the OSDs that are in charge of the SSD.

You can find a guide here:
http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/12/07/ceph-2-speed-storage-with-crush/

I also use Ceph as a backend storage for Openstack and I thought about that
solution when I built our cloud. However I ended up using the SSD as journals
for the OSD. With that solution, dd can write on cephfs at 460 MB/s with the
option conv=fdatasync (I used a 12 GB file for the tests)

A little context might help: we received 10 servers (4 computes and 6
storages). The storage have 12 slots for SAS/SATA drives and the SSD are on
PCIe (384 MB of SSD per node). The PCIe SSD are special because they are seen
as 16 drives of 24 GB by udev. We use 2 of them in Raid1 for the OS and the
rest in Raid0 for the journals. Why Raid0? Because alone they weren't that fast.

I hope that might help you choose the right solution for your needs.

Kind regards,

Alexandre Bécholey