What a huge news ! big congrats for the Ceph team, without forgetting
all the volunteers that helped for.

Keep up the amazing work, Ceph is going to be a revolution for the
storage, and that's great.

Follow up in lines responses.

Le 01/05/2014 08:26, Wido den Hollander a écrit :
> On 04/30/2014 10:46 PM, Patrick McGarry wrote:
>> Hey Danny (and Wido),
>>
>> WRT the foundation I'm sure you can see why it has been on hold for
>> the last few weeks.  However, this is not signifying the death of the
>> effort.  Both Sage and I still feel that this is a discussion worth
>> having.  However, the discussion hasn't happened yet, so it's far too
>> early to be able to say anything beyond that.
> Ok, thanks for the information. Just something that comes up in my mind:
>
> - Repository location and access
> - Documentation efforts for non-RHEL platforms
> - Support for non-RHEL platforms
Indeed, all people more comfortable to use Ceph on ".deb" platforms are
thinking that way at this time.
> I'm confident that RedHat will make Ceph bigger and better, but I'm
> just a bit worried about how that will happen and what will happen to
> the existing community.
From what I saw, the existing community is strong, and for now I don't
see what could change that, so I keep my optimism ;-), plus I read that
Ubuntu will provide enterprise support on the 14.04 LTS, we will see how
it will evolve.

I think RedHat interest in Ceph is very market oriented, in the way to
provide more confident and insurance to their actual and potential
ongoing enterprise customers, to be more attractive. They have just
added a big rope on their bow ... and it's a win/win FMPOV.

Well, just my 2 cents.

Cheers

--
Cédric