On 5/28/14 07:19 , Cedric Lemarchand wrote:
Le 28/05/2014 16:15, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG a écrit :
Am 28.05.2014 16:13, schrieb Wido den Hollander:
On 05/28/2014 04:11 PM, VELARTIS Philipp Dürhammer wrote:
Is someone using btrfs in production?
I know people say it’s still not stable. But do we use so many features
with ceph? And facebook uses it also in production. Would be a big speed
gain.
As far as I know the main problem is still performance degradation over
time. On a SSD-only cluster this would be less of a problem since seek
times on SSDs aren't a really big problem, but on spinning disks they are.

I haven't seen btrfs in production on any Ceph cluster I encountered.
It heavily fragements over time.
I just would add that it is inherent to *all* COW based file system, and
not specifically to BTRFS ;-)

Cheers

Cédric

I agree, but it appears to affect BtrFS more than others.

I'm using ZFS for other things (not Ceph). Those filesystems are slower after several years, but only by a few percent (estimating from RRD graphs). ZFS made a design decision to ignore fragmentation, as long as the zpool is less than 80% full. Once there, it switches to an optimal placement algorithm instead of the fast-but-inefficient placement algorithm. This drives up the CPU usage and kills the IOps. So it does suffer, but the pain doesn't hit until > 80% full.

I don't recall VxFS having any issue when using COW, but it's been a while. The multi-million dollar storage array probably helped.

I never used ReiserFS in production, so I can't comment.

I haven't tried any other COW filesystems.

--

*Craig Lewis*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Central Desktop. Work together in ways you never thought possible.*
Connect with us Website <http://www.centraldesktop.com/> | Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/centraldesktop> | Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/CentralDesktop> | LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=147417> | Blog <http://cdblog.centraldesktop.com/>