On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM, McNamara, Bradley
<bradley.mcnam...@seattle.gov> wrote:
> I have a somewhat interesting scenario.  I have an RBD of 17TB formatted
> using XFS.  I would like it accessible from two different hosts, one
> mapped/mounted read-only, and one mapped/mounted as read-write.  Both are
> shared using Samba 4.x.  One Samba server gives read-only access to the
> world for the data.  The other gives read-write access to a very limited set
> of users who occasionally need to add data.
>

> However, when testing this, when changes are made to the read-write Samba
> server the changes don’t seem to be seen by the read-only Samba server.  Is
> there some file system caching going on that will eventually be flushed?
>

> Am I living dangerously doing what I have set up?  I thought I would avoid
> most/all potential file system corruption by making sure there is only one
> read-write access method.  Thanks for any answers.

Well, you'll avoid corruption by only having one writer, but the other
reader is still caching data in-memory that will prevent it from
seeing the writes on the disk.
Plus I have no idea if mounting xfs read-only actually prevents it
from making any writes to the disk; I think some FSes will do stuff
like defragment internal data structures in that mode, maybe?
-Greg