On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Craig Lewis <cle...@centraldesktop.com> wrote:
> Out of curiousity, what's the frequency of the peaks and troughs?
>
> RadosGW has configs on how long it should wait after deleting before garbage
> collecting, how long between GC runs, and how many objects it can GC in per
> run.
>
> The defaults are 2 hours, 1 hour, and 32 respectively.  Search
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/radosgw/config-ref/ for "rgw gc".
>
> If your peaks and troughs have a frequency less than 1 hour, then GC is
> going to delay and alias the disk usage w.r.t. the object count.
>
> If you have millions of objects, you probably need to tweak those values.
> If RGW is only GCing 32 objects an hour, it's never going to catch up.
>

> Now that I think about it, I bet I'm having issues here too.  I delete more
> than (32*24) objects per day...

Uh, that's not quite what rgw_gc_max_objs mean. That param configures
how the garbage control data objects and internal classes are sharded,
and each grouping will only delete one object at a time. So it
controls the parallelism, but not the total number of objects!

Also, Yehuda says that changing this can be a bit dangerous because it
currently needs to be consistent across any program doing or
generating GC work.
-Greg