But this is not the case.

We upgraded the cluster and radosgws to GIANT (0.87.1) yesterday, and now we are seeing a large number of misplaced(??) objects being moved around. Does this mean it has found all the shadow files that shouldn't exist anymore, and is deleting them? If so I would expect to start seeing overall cluster usage drop, but this hasn't happened yet.

Any ideas?

On 2015-03-17 06:12, Craig Lewis wrote:
Out of curiousity, what's the frequency of the peaks and troughs?

RadosGW has configs on how long it should wait after deleting before
garbage collecting, how long between GC runs, and how many objects it
can GC in per run.

The defaults are 2 hours, 1 hour, and 32 respectively.  Search
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/radosgw/config-ref/ [2] for "rgw gc".

If your peaks and troughs have a frequency less than 1 hour, then GC
is going to delay and alias the disk usage w.r.t. the object count.

If you have millions of objects, you probably need to tweak those
values.  If RGW is only GCing 32 objects an hour, it's never going to
catch up.

Now that I think about it, I bet I'm having issues here too.  I delete
more than (32*24) objects per day...