Indeed it is not necessary to have any OSD entries in the Ceph.conf file but what happens in the event of a disk failure resulting in changing the mount device?

For what I can see is that OSDs are mounted from entries in /etc/mtab (I am on CentOS 6.6)
like this:

/dev/sdj1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-8 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sdh1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-6 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sdg1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-5 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sde1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-3 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sdi1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-7 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sdf1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-4 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sdd1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-2 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sdk1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-9 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-0 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-1 xfs rw,noatime,inode64 0 0

So in the event of a disk failure (e.g. disk SDH fails) then in the order the next one will take its place meaning that SDI will be seen as SDH upon next reboot thus it will be mounted as CEPH-6 instead of CEPH-7 and so on...resulting in a problematic configuration (I guess that lots of data will be start moving around, PGs will be misplaced etc.)

Correct me if I am wrong but the proper way to mount them would be by using the UUID of the partition.

Is it OK if I change the entries in /etc/mtab using the UUID=xxxxxx instead of /dev/sdX1??

Does CEPH try to mount them using a different config file and perhaps exports the entries at boot in /etc/mtab (in the latter case no modification in /etc/mtab will be taken into account)??

I have deployed the Ceph cluster using only the "ceph-deploy" command. Is there a parameter that I 've missed that must be used during deployment in order to specify the mount points using the UUIDs instead of the device names?

Regards,

George