Hi Robert,

just to make sure I got it correctly:

Do you mean that the /etc/mtab entries are completely ignored and no matter what the order of the /dev/sdX device is Ceph will just mount correctly the osd/ceph-X by default?

In addition, assuming that an OSD node fails for a reason other than a disk problem (e.g. mobo/ram) if I put its disks on another OSD node (all disks have their journals with) will Ceph be able to mount
them correctly and continue its operation?

Regards,

George

I have not used ceph-deploy, but it should use ceph-disk for the OSD
preparation.  Ceph-disk creates GPT partitions with specific
partition UUIDS for data and journals. When udev or init starts the
OSD, or mounts it to a temp location reads the whoami file and the
journal, then remounts it in the correct location. There is no need
for fstab entries or the like. This allows you to easily move OSD
disks between servers (if you take the journals with it). Its magic!
But I think I just gave away the secret.

Robert LeBlanc

Sent from a mobile device please excuse any typos.